Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I See Book, You See Movie!

A few days after I finished Roberto Saviano's wonderful book Gomorrah, I found out that a fictional movie based on the book was in the Cannes competition line-up. Last night, I came across a book Johnny Mad Dog by the Congolese writer Emmanuel Dongala. I had never heard of the book or the author but the sale price of $0.50 (yes that's right, 50 cents!!) was too good to pass up. And today, I discover that a movie based on the book is playing in the festival's Un Certain Regard section. Interesting coincidences. Hmm, what other books can I discover in the next 11 days before the Cannes festival is over?

Although, I have no excuses for the Jose Saramago book Blindness. I started reading the book about two years ago but never finished it. And today Fernando Meirelles' film version opened the Cannes festival. I am still not sure if I will finish the book before I tackle the film.

No comments: