1) I would be watching significantly less films than the 386 I saw back in 2007.
2) I would struggle to watch 'new' films released in 2008 and would not even have enough to draft a top 10 list.
3) I would be unable to find time to screen films for CIFF and might find it hard to watch even 10 films during the 10 day film festival.
4) I would not be able to attend VIFF.
Well it turns out that I was wrong on 3 counts. I was unable to make it to VIFF but my other expectations were quite wrong. And it is one of those cases that I am thankful that I was wrong.
So this is what happened with my #1-3 expectations.
1) I ended up watching 445 films in 2008, easily the highest number of films I have seen in a year in my life.
2) I also watched about 143 new films. These are either 2008 films or 2007/2006 films which were only released in my city this year.
3) I screened about 50 films over two months in the summer for CIFF and managed to take in 18 films during the festival.
The following are the candidates films from which my best of 2008 films will come from. It turns out that I have some difficult but fun choices to make to draft a year end best list.
A Christmas Tale (2008, France, Arnaud Desplechin)