Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

CIFF 2010, viewing list

Every year at CIFF, I have failed to catch all the films that I had originally planned to see. The reasons have been usually one of the following:

-- The film was sold out.
-- The print did not arrive (although this has not happened for the last 4 years).
-- A friend gave a recommendation for another film leading me to switch titles.
-- Exhaustion.

The fatigue factor comes into play quite a bit because I attend the weekday evening shows after putting in a full 8-9 hour workday. So watching 2-3 films after a busy workday usually means I end up skipping at least one day in the middle of the festival to recover.

So this time around I have decided to have a two tier list to ensure I can at least catch my top titles (Liga 1) and attend other films depending on my level of sanity.

Liga 1 -- 9 titles

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010, Thailand, Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
Valhalla Rising (2009, Denmark, Nicolas Winding Refn)
Rec 2 (2009, Spain, Jaume Balagueró/Paco Plaza)
Certified Copy (2010, France/Iran/Italy, Abbas Kiarostami)
Heartbeats (2010, Canada, Xavier Dolan)
The Light Thief (2010, Kyrgyzstan co-production, Aktan Abdykalykov)
Snow and Ashes (2010, Canada, Charles-Olivier Michaud)
The Illusionist (2010, United Kingdom, Sylvain Chomet)
Armadillo (2010, Denmark, Janus Metz)

Although already I know I won't make all the above films as The Light Thief will play at the same time as Snow and Ashes, meaning I will have to choose between one of these features. But seeing Uncle Boonmee.. is an absolute necessity!!!

Liga 2 -- 10 titles

A Screaming Man (2010, France, Mahamat-Saleh Haroun)
I Am Not Your Friend (2009, Hungary, György Pálfi)
Secret Reunion (2010, South Korea, Jang Hun)
Curling (2010, Canada, Denis Côté)
Incendies (2010, Canada, Denis Villeneuve)
A Film Unfinished (2009, Germany/Israel, Yael Hersonski)
Freetime Machos (2009, Finland/Germany, Mika Ronkainen)
The Happy Poet (2010, United States, Paul Gordon)
A Place Called Los Pereyra (2009, Canada, Andrés Livov-Macklin)
Nora's Will (2008, Mexico, Mariana Chenillo)

Another goal this year is to ensure I see one film on all the 10 days, something I have never been able to accomplish.

No comments: